TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Random Anecdotes
People Seeking Info

Subject Random Anecdotes

Posted by Stadsport (Nick@CZP) on August 16, 2014 at 12:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 354 times.

In Reply To Evan I am learning as I got but I did not have a gutted STV posted by Carlos Ramirez on August 15, 2014 at 04:30 PM

Message -OEM Suction Throttle Valve has been NLA for a while. Whomp whomp.

-For what it's worth, there were two versions of the R12 cars that used the thermal control amp to shut the A/C off--the 1990 with manual climate control, and the 1993 convertible. Basically anything with manual climate control had it, as did all the R134A cars. The R12 cars with auto climate control are the odd ducks, ironically those are statistically the most common.

-Like the evaporator, they changed the condenser with the switched to R134A, and the new design is much more efficient. In my experience the NA R12 condenser does fine with R134A, but the TT one is a bit smaller, so it really benefits from switching to the new style (as I've done on my own car). It's pricey ($300) but hey, that's about what a shop will charge you to recharge with R12.

-Nissan used to sell a conversion kit back in the day. It basically consisted of a new receiver-drier, the port adapters, and an expansion valve. They never bothered changing over the evaporator or condenser for some reason, probably cost. Strangely, I've compared the expansion valves side by side, and save for some minor production changes, they seem identical. Visually, at least.

-Nissan also discontinued the R12 receiver-drier recently, and the only p/n for the pressure switch is for the late style one. As you probably know, the R134A version is a two-way switch which will cut the compressor if the pressure is too low or high, and the R12 version will only cut it if it's too low, so it's an upgrade. And fun fact, the connectors we sell for the new switch are RB25 Wastegate solenoid connectors. Just happens to be the exact same connector used on the later reciever-drier, so we just got lucky with that one!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.